Monday, January 20, 2020

Valladolid Homestay: Jan. 18-19 by Molly B.


We had another day alone with our host families, doing various activities ranging from visiting museums to just staying in and having a nice relaxing Sunday.  My host family had extended family come in today to celebrate the seventeenth birthday of the youngest daughter, Paula.  The relatives first came over to receive a tour of the new apartment, and then we went to a nice lunch together.  Something I have learned on this trip is that meals in Spain are often much longer than in the United States.  Families generally continue sitting at a table and talking after they have finished eating, on top of the fact that they order appetizers, entrees, and desserts with coffee at most meals.  This lunch, for example, was about a four hour excursion from the time the relatives arrived at the apartment to the when we left the restaurant!  Many of us from our school group ventured to discotecas last night and were fairly tired today.  I myself ended up taking a 3 hour nap when my host family returned from lunch, as I assume some of the other girls from the group did as well.

Tonight, my host family and I had a night in and watched Annabelle in Spanish (with English subtitles).  It was fun for me to see how much of the movie I could understand without looking at the subtitles, which was more than I expected!  On this trip our group has enjoyed listening to the voice over of the Spanish actors in English shows and movies, especially the voice over actors for the show Friends.  Tomorrow we have an exciting excursion planned to Salamanca and have been told to look out for several statues that are supposed to bring us good luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment